My name is Barry Arthur Cotton and I am the 7th great-grandson of John Cotton, the Puritan Patriarch of New-England. John Cotton was a Founding Father to America’s Founding Fathers and was pivotal in establishing America’s first public school and its first institution of higher learning, Harvard College.
I served on the Board of the Winthrop Society for 9 years, was National Chairman & President for 5 years, and elected President Emeritus in 2010. Concurrently, I served as a Trustee of the Partnership of the Historic Bostons for 14 years and have authored articles for the Winthrop Journal and the Mayflower Quarterly. Recently, I contributed several articles to BOSTON: The Small Town with a Big Story published September 2019.
Currently, I am writing a biography of John Cotton titled JOHN COTTON: An Intimate Investigation of His Life and Times, which was awarded First Place in the WRITERS’ LEAGUE OF TEXAS MANUSCRIPT CONTEST for nonfiction. At the same time, I am working on a book
LINEAGE & HEREDITARY SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
- Society of the Cincinnati (Massachusetts Branch)
- Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts
- Order of Founders and Patriots of America
- General Society of the Mayflower
- Winthrop Society
- General Society of Colonial Wars
- National Society of Descendants of Colonial Clergy
- Hereditary Order of the First Families of Massachusetts
- National Society of the Sons & Daughters of the Pilgrims
- National Society of the Sons of Colonial New England
- National Society of Sons of American Colonists
- Sons of the American Revolution
- Order of the Indian Wars of the United States of America
- Society of the War of 1812
- Military Society of the War of 1812
- First Families of Ohio
- Society of Indiana Pioneers
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War
I also maintain a personal blog/website @ THE COTTON CHRONICLES.