In 1919, a gift from the Mayor, Aldermen and Burgesses of Boston, England was presented to the City Hall of Boston, USA and contained a scroll congratulating the Mayor and Governing Body of Boston, USA on the victories of the American Army in France and the valuable assistance given to the Allied cause by the American Navy.
The plate on the outside of the box states:
- To the Honorable Andrew J. Peters,
- Mayor and to the Governing Body
- Of the City of Boston, Massachusetts:
- This box (which is made from the rails which formed a part of the dock in the old Guildhall, where the Pilgrim Fathers were tried in the year 1607) with the enclosed address of good fellowship, is presented by the Worshipful the Mayor and Corporation of the Borough of Boston, England.
- A. Cooke Yarborough, Mayor.
SOURCE: Forbes, Allan. Towns of New England and Old England, Ireland and Scotland: Part 1. Vol. 1, New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1921. p-18