The First Church in Boston, Massachusetts, on the corner of Berkeley and Marlborough Streets, once contained the large memorial (shown above) to Rev. John Cotton. The memorial was dedicated in 1907 and recounts milestones in Cotton’s life and included a recumbent statue of Cotton upon a stone pedestal. The front portion of the pedestal dates from the 14th century and was part of the east portal entrance to St. Botolph’s Church, Boston, England during the time Cotton was vicar of the church.
The First Church in Boston was nearly destroyed by fire in 1968 and only the facade of the church survived. Destroyed in the fire were the Cotton Memorial and numerous plaques to the founders of Boston, Massachusetts who migrated from Boston, England.
SOURCE: Forbes, Allan. Towns of New England and Old England, Ireland and Scotland: Part 1. Vol. 1, New York: G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1921. p-22